Search

Search all blog posts here.

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Shovelhead 4 Speed Saga Part 1


So of course I finally get the engine resorted and what breaks. The only piece of this bike that I haven’t rebuilt myself. It didn’t lock up or hand grenade luckily. I parked it overnight and instead of the usual quarter size spot of oil, I got this. Oil everywhere, on the clutch basket, frame, and ground and possibly eventually not any in the transmission and a bunch on the back tire. So the transmission needs to come out and get a full teardown and the Ray “Saddlebagrail” treatment.


Primary comes off first, starting with the clutch basket.


Loosen the adjustment screw and remove the lock nut.


Fender washer goes on and then the lock nut. Unbend the tab washers and take off the nuts and pressure plate assembly comes off and you don’t lose all the springs.
 

Clutch basket and plates slide off.


Some oil on this seal, but probably not my only problem.


I’m going to break these front nuts now while the frame is holding the transmission for me.

Chainguard comes off the primary guard.
 

Rear support plate nuts hold the primary guard and need to come off.


Front primary guard nut comes off.


Alternator cover won’t let the primary guard off yet. Alternator cover comes off next.
 

Dang oil here, too. That sucks I was hoping the engine was still mostly oil tight.


Clutch rod off next.


Clutch road, pegmount, and clutch pedal come off.

Kickstand and plate next. What the heck is that in there?


Oh that’s a bolt that held the clutch rod to the pedal that I lost. I figured it was out on the road somewhere.


All the Jockey stuff is headed to the powdercoater and I scored a nicer kickstand set-up, too. So I’ll throw this older set on the bike so I won’t have to leave it on the jack until I’m done with the transmission and powdercoating.



Unplug the neutral light.


Kick arm comes off.


Now to the clutch hub. Special homemade holding tool, clutch plate with a handle.


LEFT HANDED THREADS!!!
 
This doesn't look too bad. I don’t think.


Another homemade tool to pull the clutch hub.



Get the fine nuts for the studs back out of the hardware bag.
 
This isn’t going to work.


Take it apart and put the holder tool back on.


Hub’s off.


Now to the chain. The masterlink is in the worst possible spot. So up on the jack and spin the rear wheel back around.
Chains comes off.


Four nuts and a bolt hold the transmission place.


This thing ain’t coming out the easy way. The oil filter is in the way from letting it come up enough. So the transmission plate needs to be removed with the transmission. I think maybe that’s how you’re supposed to do it anyway.


Did I mention the oil filter is in the way? That’s a socket, a universal, an extension, and a break over to get at that bolt. I will pull the filter to put everything back together and torque it properly, but I didn’t want to make a mess today.
 
Finally.



I’ll put the plate back in for safe keeping.


This is the box I built for a transmission stand.



Now to cut the holes for the transmission. I thought it would be one drain hole and four stud holes.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I had to swiss cheese my box for the clear the sprocket and the big lump in the casting around the drain hole. Did I bother to go get my sawzall? Nope. What a mess. Next time I will put another board sideways and make a little stand on top of my stand.


Now it works.


Now on top of the bucket to drain out.
 
 
  

3 comments: